Sanatorium Joseph Lemaire was built in 1937, it is a modernistic building, designed by architect Maxime Brunfaut. The building was commissioned by La Prévoyance Sociale, an insurance company. The director of the company, Joseph Lemaire, gave his name to the building.
Click the image to see the gallery:
The sanatorium took care of miners who suffered from tuberculosis. The healthy environment was ideal for the patients with pulmonary diseases. In 1987, the place was abandoned and is in decline ever since. It is a very popular location with Urban Explorers and unfortunately also vandals.
Click HERE to see some old postcards of this location